Buffalo or Asian, Chicken Wings are scrumptious and healthy

Wait. Healthy? I know what you are thinking. That's ridiculous. First, they have to be deep fried. Second, the sauce? Hello?

Ok. I don't like Buffalo wings. I prefer honey wings. I can't have honey, so I created my own sauce. An Asian-inspired glaze.

But mi familia, well, they needed their buffalo style. So happy compromise - we made both.

First, the wings. I had no idea how to prepare the wings for cooking. Something about removing wing tips and cutting them in two.

My go to guy, Alton Brown? He's got it on YouTube. Of course he has a different way to cook them. It's the chicken prep I'm concerned with. So if you've never dealt with wings, watch at least the first 6 minutes. While you're at it, watch all his stuff! You get a great education on the science behind the food plus some really good techniques.


Now he's not going to fry his wings. And that's cool. But for me? That wonderful crisp chicken without the muss and fuss? I'm going to the fryer. As mentioned previously, I'm using the Waring Pro.

So, after snipping tips, hacking in half and frying naked (which means clean... no seasoning, no dredging) for about 10-12 minutes at 375F we were ready to toss the chicken. No, not at each other. At least not yet.

While we were cooking the chicken in the fryer, we were busy making sauces.

Buffalo Sauce:
4 tablespoons melted butter
6 tablespoons Frank's RedHot Sauce (more or less depending on desired heat)
One tablespoon cider vinegar

Asian-Inspired Glaze:
Whisk together in a microwave safe bowl:
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic or a few shakes of garlic powder
1 tablespoon pure vermont (or Canadian, or Wisconsin) maple syrup (please don't use off the shelf artificial stuff, it isn't good for you)
1 teaspoon vermont maple shaker powder (or a shake of brown sugar)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
a bit of stevia or sugar to taste. At this point it's up to you.

Heat 30 seconds in the microwave.
Add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum and whisk briskly for a minute or so till smooth. Let sit for 10 minutes. The Xanthan gum will act like corn starch and thicken up the glaze. Now if xanthan gum does not agree with you, try a little chickpea flour as a thickener instead.

When the beautifully fried, crispy wings were out of the fryer, we tossed half the wings in buffalo sauce and half the wings in the Asian glaze.
Asian Glazed Wings


Both of which were quickly gobbled up. Asian is just prettier. I didn't get to take a photo because as fast as they went on the platter they were eaten. This photo is the second round. Seriously good wings. I promise, next time I'll slap hands until I get my photo with both.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones