Funny thing about Funny Bones

My favorite snack cake growing up was a Funny Bone. Wrapped in silver foil, like a Ring Ding, but shaped like a Yodel, and filled with this awesome peanut butter cream. Truth? It wasn't real cream, or real peanut butter, and who knows what kind of crap was used to make the most horribly delicious food ever.

A few years ago I had an awful craving, actually... more like 10 years ago. I haven't eaten sugar in close to nine years. But back to my story. I went online, and to my utter delight, Gristedes in New York would ship me as many boxes of my childhood obsession as I wanted. I ordered like 7 boxes. I wanted my husband to try them. I wanted my girls to experience the sugary rush of awesomeness. Back then, I had no idea it was so deadly.

And now I do. But it doesn't mean I gave up my love of Chocolate and Peanut butter cakes rolled in chocolate.

Carolyn, over at AlldayIdreamaboutfood.com, had this great layer cake with peanut butter frosting and ganache. She also had a fabulous chocolate pound cake. So when I woke up today with a horrible craving for funny bones (I must have had a dream about them) I went to work.



Step 1. Chocolate Pound Cake. Click here for the recipe.
Step 2. Slice your pound Cake horizontally in thirds (3 layers) and set aside
Step 3. Make your filling.
Filling:
1 cup peanut butter, natural and creamy is best, at room temperature.
1 cup Heavy Cream
1/3 cup confectioners Swerve
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Whip all ingredients together until a thick but spreadable texture is achieved. Depending on the consistency of your peanut butter, you may need more or less cream. The taste is the important part. Should be frosting-like sweet but very strong peanut butter taste.

Spread 1/3 the filling on the bottom layer and place the second layer on top. Spread half the remainder on the second layer and place the top layer back in place. Smear the rest of the filling on the sides and cover the opening between layers.

Step 4. Chocolate Ganache.
Again, from Alldayidreamaboutfood:
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
5 tablespoons butter UNSALTED!!!!!
1/4 cup Swerve confectioners.

Melt butter and chocolate in microwave about 60-75 seconds. Whisk in swerve until smooth and creamy. Pour over the top of the cake in the center and spread out to the sides so it drips down.

Refrigerate at least a few hours. Serves at least 16. I was only able to eat half a slice... this stuff is rich, heavy, decadent and totally worth every bite.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.