Low carb decadent Chocolate Pecan Pie muffins

So I was looking for an easy fudge recipe when instead I happened upon a recipe that sounded equally fabulous. Chocolate Pecan Pie Muffins. Really, huh. I thought could they be as good as as my favorite recipe blogger makes them sound?

Yep. They could. But not without a hitch or two. Totally my fault.





First, I was impatient. So where she said, very clearly, eggs at room temperature, I figured, not important. Guess what, it is. Because when I tried to cream the butter and eggs, it looked like a bad accident. Curdled beyond belief. Had to toss it out. So, if you try this recipe, follow the directions. Carolyn, who writes the fabulous blog I found these at, and who creates unbelievable recipes, is quite good at providing accurate instructions. Follow them. 

Here's my take (pretty much the same as the original)

Ingredients:
2 eggs at room temperature. Don't use cold eggs. Please.
1 stick (1/2 cup) organic butter, softened
1 Cup Almond Flour, sifted
3/4 cup Swerve sweetener
pinch of salt (I used fresh ground sea salt, couple of turns)
1 cup chopped Raw Pecans
1/2 bar or about 2 ounces of chopped dark chocolate. To keep your carb count down, the sugar should be about 10 grams for a half a bar, no more. I use 70 percent or greater.

Preheat oven to 325F and line a muffin tin with paper liners (12 cup tin)

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, swerve and pecans together till well blended.
In a separate bowl, begin beating the softened butter, and then add the eggs, one at a time as the butter creams. Keep beating until it's smooth and creamy. If it's a little chunky, who cares. Don't be like me and waste food by throwing it away.

Add the flour mixture into the creamed butter/egg and mix until well blended. Fold in the chocolate. The mixture should look like cookie dough.
Fill each muffin tin with mixture evenly (mine filled the paper liner about half way in each.)
Bake 28 minutes or so. These don't rise, they just melt and set. So they won't be all light and fluffy. They will be kind of hard and questionable. And when you wonder if you did it right and take a bite, and your senses are overwhelmed with incredible flavor, you'll realize these are as good as promised.


So let me tell you what these tasted like. Pecan Pie with delicious chocolate added. We're talking so delicious I personally ate two. With no regrets. And I was really amazed that unlike most of my almond flour recipes, this one was good right out of the pan, no refrigeration. Didn't crumble or fall apart. Just melted in your mouth. When you cook with good chocolate, being able to take a bite and have the melted chocolate ooze out is a dream come true. I've been using new chocolate, Sprouts 72%. Lot's cheaper than the Green & Black Organic, but packs a great flavor.

So have at it my low-carb friends. This one is a keeper!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones