The best mistake I ever made




So I was aiming for corndogs. And as good as these look, let's be honest. Corn dogs without corn meal? Nope. Tasty yes. In fact after a few minutes I realized why. That one fabulous recipe that had eluded me for sooooo long? Right in front of me. What we were eating was a wonderfully light, slightly sweet and utterly delicous tempura batter. Quite by accident, I discovered an amazing recipe. 

And I'm sharing. Now to be honest, I haven't used it on Shrimp or veggies or anything else. But I will tell you right now, this is my go to batter recipe for frying anything. From here on. It was the first gluten free, grain free batter that didn't end up mushy or soft in the fryer. It was crispy and yummy.

We weren't following any particular corn dog recipe, since all of them used Corn Meal. Instead, we looked at about 15 recipes, and looked for commonalities in them. Eggs. Buttermilk. A little sugar. Some seasonings, etc. And then there are the flours. They all used an equal amount of Flour and Corn Meal. Neither of which we have in our house. So this was a wing it style recipe. It wasn't easy by the way, and we had to keep practicing since the batter would fall off the hot dogs in the fryer due to our inexperience.

And then of course the little incident with the hot oil dripping off the faux corn dog onto my hand eliciting a very delayed "Ow. Ow. Ow." Hubby didn't even turn his head away from the Football game. Gee. He did offer to wrap it up for me though.

Injuries aside, along with the incredible mess we made, we all agreed the best part of this meal was the coating on the phony bolony corn dogs. Really it was exquisite. Just not anything like a corn dog. I thought taste-wise it was closer to Pigs in a Blanket. The good ones they serve at those catered holiday parties. The ones you always feel guilty about eating "just one more." So good news, if you want, you can make them yourself using this batter. I intend to.  I may have to try the oven of course. I am not having any more happy accidents with the fryer.

GGGFree Buttermilk Batter

1 cup almond flour
2 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
.5 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Swerve
4 eggs
1.5 cups Buttermilk

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and buttermilk until well blended. Slowly whisk in the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated, don't worry about lumps, just make sure it looks blended. If you don't use it all right away, you can store in the fridge for a day or two in a tightly sealed container.

You can now use the batter to coat veggies, seafood, whatever you like, and deep fry or pan fry. Remember to flour coat your main ingredient to hold the batter to it so it doesn't fall off. I may even try a muffin tin pastry style biscuit. Not sure how that will work yet.

If you fry, when you remove your food from the fryer, it will appear soft, so lay it on a paper towel lined tray, and let it crisp up. Only takes a minute or two and you'll have the most delicious batter fried food without the grains, gluten, carbs or guilt!!!!! Truthfully though, you'll have to eat what you cook. This is not a good leftovers recipe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones