Thank goodness for Alice's Restaurant

It's been a long Thanksgiving Day. My girls are far away and the empty nest gets just a little emptier on holidays. Plus I have to curb my appetite for destruction on days like this. So I got up, had coffee and watched the Macy's parade. Only half-heartedly of course. The whole idea that the retail giant is opening their doors on Thanksgiving to make even more money leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, making it hard to enjoy even Snoopy. Redesigned of course.

So then I made some Almond Fudge topped Brownies. Makes the kitchen smell good and gives me a reason not to over do the pecan pie later.

Went walking with my mom, one reason to give thanks... that I can still go walking with my mom.

Came back and called our children. Caught the younger one during potato peeling time... not a great time to chat. Caught the other during some free time, which was great. I was attempting again the nefarious Apple Pie and needed to be talked down from the Chef's Ledge. She accommodated me and got me through using Pastry Puff (a no no, to be sure, but it's Thanksgiving and I don't give a damn) and eventually we did succeed.

Now I did manage to get the sweet potatoes made last night. Now these are actually ok on a low carb plan, in moderation, well, except for the marshmallows which we'll all pretend aren't there. Thing is, you can't live your entire life not touching any one particular food unless it's going to cause you pain and suffering. If it's only going to cause minor spikes in your blood sugar and a day or two of guilt, by all means, go for it. Life is meant to be lived.

So there I am, pie done, brownies done, sweet potatoes ready, and nothing left to do but well, duke it out on Facebook with snarky people. The thing about snarky people is they love to rile things up and make snide comments, but only want people who agree to respond. If you don't agree, yet do respond, well, you're just not a nice person. And you know who you are... all of you... back to my story. As this is my story. It's hard enough to get through the holiday itself minus your kids when someone decides to tell you, well, that you aren't nice. Just stick a knife in my back why don't you? If you don't want people to be snarky on your facebook, then quit saying stupid things to incite it. So now I'm in no mood for anyone's crap on Facebook. Now I'm ready to just dive in to my Zin. For a little Zen. And then lo and behold, the post of all posts.

An old friend gifts us all with the most remarkably perfect share of the day. Alice's Restaurant. Original '67 recording. And I'm going to regift to you. Alice's Restaurant



I grew up on this classic. Music to melt away any attitude. It's just plain fun, and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm going to be thankful for Arlo Guthrie. And my friend Scott for sharing.

So that's my Thanksgiving. The house smelled great. We ate next door, and many many thanks to our friends for inviting us!!! The food was awesome and the company even better. All in all, not a bad day. Except for the snarkies. But then again, what's a holiday without a scrooge or two.

Oh. That's right... the pie... ok, just to recap, you can have apple pie on a low carb diet.

Ingredients:
Pastry Puff;
5-6 granny smith apples;
2 T butter;
2T sweetener;
1 Tsp Cinnamon;
1/4 tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 325F

Go out and get yourself some frozen pastry puff. One sheet will do. Thaw it out in the fridge for a few hours, then line a nice deep dish pie shell with it. Trim off the edges if you have extra, and use them to top the pie.

OK, take about 5 or  6 granny smiths, peel them and core them. Then slice into 1/4" wedges.
Melt about two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet, then add the apples and about two tablespoons of sweetener, either splenda or swerve.. pick your poison. Sauté the apples about 8 to 10 minutes, until the liquid in the pan evaporates and the apples begin to brown. Remove from heat and sprinkle a teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of salt over the apples and toss lightly. Spoon the apples into the pie dish and bake at 325F for about 22 minutes. Serve warm with a bit of whip cream.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones