Low Carb Chocolate Topped Almond Butter Mousse Pie

So I'm out of ideas, and in the mood for something akin to a miracle pie. Something to make everyone's palates desperate for a bite. So desperate they'll go face first into it instead of delicately sampling with a fork. Something to make us forget that we so totally abused our most cherished national treasure... our vote... that the inmates have taken over the asylum. We're gonna take it back. At least for a moment.

Here's what I'm thinking... now be advised I have no idea what the end result will be. 

We're looking for an awesome pie. That entails an awesome crust. Being GGS Free (my new catch all phrase for Grain/Gluten/Sugar Free foods, which by definition are gonna be low carb, I need to start with fresh wholesome ingredients. I'm diabetic type II, so knowing the source of everything I eat is important. 

Unsweetened coconut always makes a good crust. But it's ordinary. I'm thinking, let's add some chopped Pecans and perhaps a tad bit of Cocoa. Yum.

So for the crust...

1 Cup Coconut (unsweetened)
1 Cup Raw Pecans (unsalted and sweet), chopped fine (I use a coffee grinder)
1 Tablespoon Cocoa (I prefer Ghirardelli)
2 Tablespoons Swerve Granular
4 Tablespoons melted Grass Fed unsalted sweet butter

Toss the Coconut and Pecans together, then stir in the Swerve. Now, add your butter slowly, blending well until the mixture is thick and maleable. God I love multi-syllable words in directions. 

Grease a 9" pie pan, or use a good non-stick ceramic dish. Press the crust mixture evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the dish, patting down firm. Try not to leave cracks. 
Coconut Pecan sugar free low carb crust
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until set and starting to brown. Remove and let cool. Trust me this smells incredible.

For the filling, and this has to be good, I've had a brainiac moment. Seeing the success of my nutty butter cups... i think we need to expand on this idea. Anyone can make a chocolate covered peanut butter pie. Loaded with calories, carbs and sugar. Ladies and gentlemen.... we're going for the same orgasmic food experience without the side effects. Here goes.

Filling: 
1 cup heavy organic whipping cream
1/2 cup (4 oz) Crunchy Roasted Natural Almond Butter
2 Tabelspoons Confectioners Swerve
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt almond butter till softened. Combine with cream in mixing bowl and begin slowly mixing until blended. Add swerve and vanilla, and turn beaters to high until the mixture begins to develop a mousse like texture. Pour into crust and smooth surface so it's pretty flat. I did not do as I say... I went for pretty peaks. Bad idea since when we top it the chocolate will crack.

Almond Butter Mousse Pie, undressed
Refrigerate, while you make the topping below.


Topping:
2 oz cocoa butter
1.5 tablepoons cocoa
2 tablespoons confectioners swerve
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Melt cocoa butter in sauce pan. In separate bowl, sift cocoa and swerve together. Add melted cocoa butter and vanilla and stir with whisk until creamy and smooth. Pour over top of pie filling in a thin layer. It'll look a little funky but don't stress.

Slice of Pie, hold the carbs.

Refrigerate at least a few hours before serving. If you can. 

We couldn't. I stole a slice to photograph... and naturally took a bite... which led to a few more, which led to me screaming for hubby to get into the kitchen fast before I ate the whole thing. Yeah. That good. Skip the fork and just inhale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones