Low Carb Lemon Bars even my grandmother would love.

I pulled out my grandmother's lemon bar recipe, courtesy of my sister who keeps all these things. One look gave me the heeby jeebies. 2 CUPS of sugar. And of course that wonderful butter pastry crust. So, absolutely not going with Almond Flour on this one. Sorry, but I could not fathom making a mockery of something my taste buds have always had a soft spot for.

And hubby not liking coconut, which is of course the perfect choice, left me in a quandary. You can't make a half-assed Lemon Bar. So I went with the coconut anyway. Hubby's not the diabetic one, so he can live with it.

I am only sharing this recipe because I've changed it enough that it isn't actually my grandmother's anymore, and I also assume... rather this is an educated guess... she got it from a cookbook anyway.
Sugar Free Grain Free Gluten Free Lemon Bars

This isn't in a cookbook yet. But if I ever publish one it will be cause these are that good. Really.

Lemonlicious Lemon Bars

Grease 13 x 9 baking pan. Preheat oven to 350F if using metal, 325F for glass
Ingredients:

Crust:
2 cups unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons granular swerve
6 tablespoons sweet organic butter (melted)

Mix ingredients well and pat firmly down into pan. Bake about 8 minutes (don't brown, just firm up) and remove from oven to cool while making filling. Leave oven on.

Filling:
2 cups granular Swerve (Use 1.5 cups if you like a tarter bar)
5 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed lemon juice (add some zest too). (update, try a little more lemon juice for texture)
4 Organic eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons Confectioners Swerve (for dusting bars prior to serving)

Beat filling ingredients until frothy and pour over baked crust. Return to oven and bake 20 minutes at 250 or 25-30 minutes at 325. Top should be firm and bounce back when touched. Remove and cool 30 minutes on rack. Cut into bars and refrigerate or freeze. Dust with confectioners before serving.


Lemonlicious!
Hubby said it's the best thing I've made without Chocolate. I'll take that. Since he doesn't like coconut it must be pretty damn good.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones