Burger and Fries, hold the carbs

It's amazing how some of our most cherished comfort foods are really horrible for us. Really really horrible. And even knowing this, we somehow crave them. 

Your basic burger and fries for example. I am just not into a veggie burger, with apologies to my veggie friends... I just am not. And somehow, eating a bunless, tasteless burger with kale chips just doesn't send me. 

 
So I gave in. Buckled under pressure. And served up a good old burger and fries for supper. So yum. But how you wonder? Must be 100 carbs on that plate. No my friends, only a handful. I don't know, 3?

See these fries are made of Jicama. A fabulous replacement to the potato. Actually it technically is a tuber, and known as a Mexican potato. So it counts. It's glycemic load is negligible.

The bun. Oh the bun. I've heard people speak of this magical bun. Known as the Oopsie bun. Somebody's wonderful mistake. You'll find it here at YourLighterSide. I believe that's the originator of this fantastic culinary treat.
The Oopsie Roll
These are fabulous. They hold up the burger, don't fall apart and taste fantabulous. And yes, this is my own photo from my own kitchen. Sure you can buy low carb buns, or you can buy gluten free buns, but getting grain free, low carb, gluten free all in something that tastes good? Good luck with that. 

So though credit where it's due to the wonderful chef who created these, I'm going to share my version of the recipe here. It's almost the same, but with my standard have to change something twist.

Preheat the oven to 300F. Line a tray with parchment paper or grease lightly.

Ingredients (makes 6):
3 eggs, separated
3 oz. cream cheese
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon Swerve

In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until peaks form. 
In a separate bowl, mix the yolks, cream cheese, sweetener and salt to smooth and creamy. 
Gently fold into the egg whites till well blended, but don't let the egg whites collapse!

Drop into six mounds on the tray and flatten slightly with the back of your spatula. 

Bake 30 minutes, until golden and set, and remove and let cool on tray for a few minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack for a few more minutes. Use right away, or bag and place in the refrigerator. If not using within a few days, go ahead and freeze. Keep in mind, they are going to be too thin to slice in half, so each piece is half of a bun. Technically speaking. But so low in carbs... go ahead and use two.

The burger itself was grass fed beef, and delicious. But you can pretty much put anything in the middle of these buns and have yourself a... here it comes... sandwich! And for those that know the hardship of Passover when it comes to holding the bread... notice there's no flour or leavening agent here. This my friends, is a passover sandwich waiting to happen. 

The pickle, well I left that to Boar's Head cause they are the tastiest. 

All in all, this was comfort food taken to a whole new level. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones