Holiday Waffles low carb and fabulous for any day!

Low Carb Miller Holiday Waffles

So I got a waffle maker for Christmas. Yay!!!!! Only where are the recipes? You know, that I can use? None. Only 3 recipes in the booklet, wheat and yeast and sugar. Ugh. I need Low Carb Waffles. That taste like the real deal! Plenty of coconut recipes out there, but I don't like working with coconut flour. Tends to come out dry and more like a cornmeal consistency.

So I did some research. First, what's the difference between Pancake batter and Waffle batter? I don't know, but I do know how to make fantastic low carb pancakes. So I figured I'd start there and see what google says.

Google says check the forums. So I checked the forums. Most people say the difference is in the oil and how you add the eggs. Ok. Seems the secret is in the eggs themselves. Separate them, and fold in the egg whites and you have waffles. Seems simple enough.

Only what's this about oil????? My pancakes don't use oil. I cook them in butter. I'll use butter. Melted. Just a little oil for good measure. Good idea? we'll see.

Yep. Good idea. So the only caveat to fabulous low carb waffles, I use peanut flour so if you have an aversion or allergy, these aren't for you. You might try almond flour, could work. I find it a bit gritty sometimes. Doesn't bind quite as well as the peanut and chickpea. I'll be working on different combinations now, though I have to say, the first waffle out of the shoot was amazing. I served it to my mother-in-law and she loved it. Hubby loved it too... thought maybe it could use some whipped cream and berries.

My daughter wasn't as impressed. Oh she liked it all right, just didn't have any appreciation for the work that went in to creating the batter. One that is low carb and has that Belgian waffle softness on the inside.

Maple Extract give a darker color

But I'm impressed with myself! This worked beautifully. Not as crisp as I'd like it, so I think I might recommend a bit more oil. If that works for you let me know! My second go round I just placed the waffles in the warming tray of my oven for a few minutes and that seemed to help. Now working on consistency in browning is trickier. As you can see some came out lighter, others darker, but timing was the same.The darker color appeared when using the maple extract rather than Vanilla. It's a bit heavier and richer so it will impact your results. So it's probably time to get to know my new waffle maker a bit better and keep experimenting!

Miller Holiday Waffles. Makes 3 full size waffles.

Oh My! Beautiful color and texture
2 Eggs, separated
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp Oil
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 cup Peanut Flour (full fat)
1/4 cup Chickpea flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (or try any other flavor)
3 Tbsp Swerve Granular (any sweetener is fine I suppose)
1/4 cup Water (or cream if you really want to splurge)

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form in small bowl and set aside. Whisk dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. 
Add melted butter, egg yolks, oil, water and extract and beat until smooth and creamy. Fold in egg whites until all streaks disappear. My new waffle iron is a Waring and uses 3/4 batter per waffle, check your instructions for how much batter to use per waffle.

Pour your batter into the heated waffle iron, cook, eat, enjoy! If you are using a waffle iron cook the regular amount of time you normally would if no timer or light will tell you. I also sprayed the surface with cooking spray between each batch to keep it from sticking.

The verdict on these was a resounding success! If your health dictates you avoid gluten, wheat, sugar and carbs, then these will surely do the trick.

Here's what I'm using, and please note if you do purchase this item, I may be compensated in some small fractional way for promoting it :)
Doubt it, but it could happen and you should know.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones