A new twist on an old favorite.

So I'm not running a bagel shop and I don't happen to poppy seeds laying around. And thinking that's a good thing. I love a good bagel. But way off topic. Back to poppy seeds. I have none. What I do have are Hemp Hearts. The heart of the Hemp seed which tastes pretty much like a sunflower seed. Almost exactly actually. 

Now I also have Lemons. It is Arizona after all. And today's a big day for the Millers. Our daughter comes home. Now among all the chaos this brings (suitcases, boxes, all the things she's accumulated over the last 5 years including a significant other and 2 bunny rabbits and all their belongings.. whew. yeah. But I realized the brownies I made the other day unfortunately flopped so I couldn't in good conscience offer them. I used cashew flour mixed with Almond Flour and that's a totpic for an all too different blog.


So I decided I'm tired of Blueberry Muffins and my Mocha Java doesn't go well with the sugar free apricot preserves. What would? Lemon. Lemon muffins. Which of course led me to Lemon Poppy Seed. And this is how I ended up with Lemon Hemp Heart Muffins.




Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan (regular size not the wimpy mini ones) or use paper liners.

1 3/4 cups Almond flour
1/4 cup Peanut Flour (I get mine from Nuts.com)
2 teaspoons BAKING POWDER
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sweetener I used  Swerve
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 large organic eggs
1 stick melted (half cup or 8 tablespoons) organic butter, unsalted, or Ghee.
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons Hemp Hearts
I used Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Shelled Hemp Seed, 16 Ounce Pouch 


Combine all dry ingredients in mixing bowl. I recommend sifting the almond flour as fine as possible and then mixing with a whisk to break up any clumping.


Add melted butter, vanilla, and lemon and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, blendiing fully with mixture until the batter is thick and smooth. Fold in the Hemp Hearts. Pour into muffin tin cups roughly 3/4 way up.

Bake 20 minutes until top is set and firm and a toothpick comes out pretty clean. Don't overbake. Place on cooling rack and if preferred, drizzle a bit of granulated swerve on each muffin top for extra sweetness. 




Almond Flour goods should be refrigerated after they are completely cool for best texture and taste. But I have to say, these were fabulous right out of the oven. Total time start to finish? 25 minutes. Breakfast is served!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones