Pancakes. Simple, pure, wholesome and gggfree.

I'm discovering that pancakes can be a fabulous low carb, grain and gluten free option. Really. And the more I play around with batters, the more I realize bisquick was just one of a thousand mixtures you could use.

So here's how to create your own spin on pancakes and invent your own signature recipe.

Start with equal parts of a variety of nut and bean flours on the market. There are sooo many to choose from. In today's recipe, I used equal parts of chickpea flour (garbanzo/besan) and peanut flour. Why peanut flour? Simple. The lower fat nut flours won't provide the texture or binding you need. So if you use Almond flour it's a little dry. Hazelnut flour a little gritty. So you have to experiment. I've also added Whey protein which is great but seems it doesn't agree with me in larger amounts. 

C'est la vie.

So, for every 1/2 cup of flour, use one egg and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, along with a heaping tablespoon of sweetener (I prefer Swerve) and 1/3 cup liquid. Water or Almond Milk is great. 

Now, add the fun. A 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite extract for the flavor, and any nuts or berries or even diced fruit. 

Then cook them just like any other pancake.

Today's flavor of the day was Maple. I just got my shipment of extracts. Hazlenut, Maple and Cherry. Since I can't use Maple syrup in a large enough quantity to taste it, nor would I ever resort to artificial flavors, the extracts seem to fit the bill. Then I wanted to used them!

I was hesitant to make the protein pancakes again, and I noticed that bag of peanut flour I'd bought for a special recipe from All Day I Dream About Food. I thought, hmmm. It's soft, fluffy and full fat. And grabbed the bag. 


And well folks... we're just about there. I realize nothing is perfect, but for texture and ease of cooking, this is the batter of choice. Next time I may actually change up the proportions of the flours and do a little mixology For now, I'm a happy pancake eater.

Maple Pancakes:
1/4 cup garbanzo flour
1/4 cup full fat peanut flour
1/3 cup Almond Milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping tabelspoon Swerve or sweetener equivalent
1/2 teaspoon maple extract (pure extract not artificial flavor)
1 egg

Whisk all dry ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended and lumps are gone. Create a well in the center and add almond milk and egg along with extract. Whisk batter until well blended.

Use either a 1/4 cup measure, or, just put a heaping large spoonful, one at a time, to form silver dollar size pancakes, or for larger pancakes use more. Make sure your pan is hot and well buttered. Cook until bubbles form and edges are set, just like traditional pancakes! Flip and cook for another 45 seconds and your done. 


I eat them with a drizzle of pure maple syrup and they are wonderful. The thing is, pure, and hear me now on this, PURE maple syrup is low glycemic and ok to use in small amounts for anyone. A teaspoon drizzled on your pancakes is fine. A few tablespoons is not safe for diabetics. Do not ever put artificial syrups or artificially sweetened syrups on the pancakes. Might as well just go over to the local pancake house. 

Make these once, and you'll have all kinds of ideas on pancakes. Once I master these, and while I'm pretty damn good at this, it's still not perfect, I'm moving on to Crepes. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones