As I was saying...

My family seems to think I have this annoying habit. I start sentences and don't finish them. It seems I do it all the time. I'll start out with...."Wow. Did you ever..." then I pause, drink some coffee, grab a magazine and walk away. And this bother's them for some reason. Why can't they just fill in the blanks? I have to literally complete every sentence, which is silly. If I start out with "looks like it's going to..." then of course I figure they'll look outside, see the clouds, and know I meant to say "rain." or "be a nice day" or "take a long time to refinish that dining room table." I mean how hard can it be?

Plus, it's not like they don't have their own annoying habits. And theirs are quite annoying by design and intention. My husband likes to sit next to me while I play some serious rounds of bejeweled, and in this really quiet voice whispers sound effects. "Chick chick Poo..." he repeats, like a mantra. Until I start talking just to shut him up. So then, he acts like Stuart on Mad TV and says "la la la la la la la la" which means "I can't heeeeeeaaaaarrr you". Or he puts a quart's worth of Pistachios in his mouth and chomps on them. Like Fingernails on a chalkboard. Really.

And then there are the children, and I use the term loosely. It's as if I have a row of buttons on my back and they are just plotting all day which ones they'll get to push. Selective hearing? Press 1. Selective Memory (usually closely associated with chores)? Press 2. Or my personal favorite,  Guilt 101. Press 3.

So if in my dottering old age, I occasionally lose sight of the point of my conversation and abandon it entirely, what is the big deal. At least at one time I had a point.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The evolving Brownie.

Funny thing about Funny Bones